Has moving been on your mind lately? You may have received a job offer for work or you could simply be scouring the internet to find the perfect place for a change of scenery. No matter how it comes about, many people stumble upon the idea of moving to Novi, Michigan and wonder if it’s a great idea. What can you truly expect from this area if you make the move?
Before you start wrapping up your fragile items in bubble wrap, you should take a closer look at what the Novi, MI area can offer you and your family. Individuals who want excellent schools and recreation services may be pleased with what they find. However, they may not be anticipating the potential cost of this relocation.
Educate yourself before you arrive in Novi, Michigan using the essential details in this guide. By the time you’re finished reading, you’ll have a great idea of whether this move is the right choice for you.
Novi School Information
Are you concerned about the quality of your child’s education when you move to Novi, Michigan? While it is normal to present some concern over the state of education in your new area, your fears are likely to be unfounded here. The state of Michigan has an excellent education system as a whole, with a goal to be named as one of the top ten states in education over the next decade.
Narrowing it down to the specific area of Novi, Michigan makes the quality academics even more obvious. This is definitely an area where parents are willing to move simply to give their children one of the best public-school educations in the country.
The Novi Community School District was named as one of the top 500 best school districts in America for 2018 by the National Council for Home Safety and Security. When compared to other schools in Michigan, it was named as the top school district in the state.
It makes sense that other review sites would confirm these substantial claims, including the likes of GreatSchools and Zillow. Zillow rated all schools with a nine or ten, while GreatSchools had only two schools that served as outliers to the trend.
Meadowbrook Elementary School came in slightly lower than the others with a rating of six based on test scores, equity, and the number of low-income students. According to the test scores, they rank just slightly below the average results for other parts of Michigan in English and science.
The far more pressing concern would be with the education at Oakland FlexTech Academy. This school, also located in Novi, Michigan, appears to offer a subpar academic system as measured by their test scores. They only have a rating of two for this smaller high school setting (grades nine through twelve). Other sources confirm that their test scores are significantly below the state averages in both English and math.
Keep in mind that you may not be tied to these schools, even if you are geographically zoned to attend either of them. Michigan allows students to make intra-district transfers if your assigned school performs lower than expected. There is a distinct possibility that you may be able to arrange for your child to attend one of the more highly-rated schools in the Novi, Michigan area.
You may also choose to transfer them to a different district. The state policy allows for inter-district transfers under certain conditions. In this situation, parents can choose any willing school with room for additional students in order to further their child’s education. This could be helpful if you move toward the edges of the city and wish to pursue one of the schools just across the county boundary.
Novi Parks and Recreation
Relocating to Novi, Michigan will give you access to a host of recreational activities throughout the year. Their Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Department was recently recognized as one of just 155 accredited agencies to have national accreditation. They are responsible for providing facilities, programs, and classes to help better the lives of their citizens, and their commitment to excellence clearly shows.
They are dedicated to providing an excellent cultural program that features theater, dance, music classes, and other performance groups. If you have been hoping to get involved in a fine arts program, the cultural services available through this department are sure to find a great match for you in Novi, MI.
They routinely receive almost 28,000 hours of service from volunteers to put on their most popular attractions each year. These can include parades, he money to make it possible.
Across the Novi, MI area, there are more than 1,200 acres of land set aside for park use. Take a look at what some of these recreational areas can offer to new residents.
- Lakeshore Park: Located in the northernmost area of Novi, MI, Lakeshore Park is the largest of the facilities the city maintains. You can enjoy access to a wonderful swimming beach on Walled Lake, mountain bike and hiking trails, and play structures for the little kids. In the wintertime, you can enjoy cross-country skiing and sledding as soon as the snow starts to fall.
- Novi Ice Arena: The Novi Ice Arena is a prime attraction for those who look forward to ice skating and hockey throughout the year. There are two full-size NHL ice sheets, multiple surfaces, viewing areas, a pro shop, and a section for skate rentals. This is a great place to spend a weekend afternoon with your kids or to enjoy one of the facility’s after-school programs.
- Novi Dog Park: Do you need a place for your furry friend to run free for a little while? Your canine companion will enjoy Novi, Michigan just as much as you will. A short trip to the Novi Dog Park will allow your pup to come home tired and happy. The park has an impressive three acres, though roughly one-third is available for small or shy dogs.
- Ella Mae Power Park: Looking for a great athletics complex when you move to Novi, Michigan? The Ella Mae Power Park is the place you’re looking for with several softball leagues available. You can sign up for an adult or a youth league program to fill some of your spare time after you move.
- Pavilion Shore Park: This is one of the newer parks available in the area and is very closely connected to parks in the area. It’s less than one mile away from Lakeshore Park, so it makes it easy to enjoy all of the amenities in one convenient location. You can take advantage of additional walking paths, a fishing pier, picnic areas, and some waterfront seating to make the most of a beautiful afternoon in Novi, MI.
- Meadowbrook Activity Center: If you happen to be moving to Novi, Michigan as an older adult, you may enjoy some of the activities available at the Meadowbrook Activity Center. This is a community of individuals 55 and older that offers various support groups and classes. They also have fitness classes for adults of every age.
No matter what your hobbies are, you’re certain to find something that appeals to you from the parks and recreation department in Novi, Michigan. Moving to Novi, MI will provide you with plenty of opportunities to enrich your daily life. You’ll experience amazing weekends and evenings in these scenic locations year-round.
Novi Housing Prices
What can you expect from the housing prices when you make a major move? Most potential residents will want to know what the median home values are prior to coming into the area. Before you move to Novi, Michigan, you should take a closer look at what it might cost you.
Much like other areas of the country, home values are currently on the rise in this part of the state. Over the past year, they have seen an increase of close to five percent. Unfortunately for new home buyers, this trend isn’t expected to change over the course of the coming year. Experts are predicting another two percent price increase by the end of 2018.
Currently, the median home value is considered to be $320,400.
You can begin to comprehend the rising home values when you consider what the current median list price is for available homes. The same formula applied to these homes for Novi, Michigan came to $425,000.
The average price per square foot is roughly $167 on these listed homes. While this may seem relatively low, consider that this equates to a 2,500 square foot home based on the median list price. You can expect to spend more on new construction homes. If you’re planning on doing this, read our post on saving money on new construction homes.
Purchasing a home in Novi may be a worthwhile investment if you plan to stay for a while. Based on the demographics, the median move-in year among currently owned properties was 2003. Most homeowners are moving into the area and choosing to stay for more than a decade so far.
Are you considering renting instead of buying a home when you first relocate to Novi, MI? This isn’t a bad consideration, but the rent prices are also high compared to national averages. You can expect to pay around $2,000 to $2,400 per month for a rental home in the area.
Homes in the nearby Detroit metro area are slightly less expensive if the home price is a major concern. However, it should be noted that the home prices and rental rates in Novi, Michigan are only slightly higher compared to those found in the rest of the state.
Novi MI Cost of Living Comparisons
How much will it really cost you to make the move to Novi, Michigan? Most people already know that the cost of living will vary as you travel across the country. Some areas are naturally more expensive to live in than others. Unfortunately, Novi, MI will fall into this more expensive category.
Compared to the national average, it is roughly five percent more expensive to live in Novi than it is in other parts of the country. Everything from groceries to housing expenses to health care is going to cost more in this city.
The good news is that there are a couple of areas where you may be able to save money, compared to the same national averages. These categories can include your utilities and your transportation fees.
Based on the calculations from Sperling’s Best Places, Novi, Michigan has earned a 118.90 on their cost of living index. The United States average is an even one hundred so anything above this number indicates a higher cost of living. They base their calculation on a number of factors, but they also provide a very interesting breakdown of the cost to rent an apartment or home in the Novi, MI area.